Quick Blueberry Slab Pie
Use refrigerated pie crusts to create a dessert to feed a crowd. Blueberries, Apples, Cherries - any fruit will do.Your pie will be in the oven in 20 minutes!
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 packages refrigerated pie crusts, not frozen preformed
- 2-3 pounds fresh blueberries, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons flour, cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lemon, zested
- 3 Tablespoons chilled butter, optional
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 Tablespoons sugar such as demerara
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring the pie crusts to room temperature according to manufacturer's directions.
- Rinse blueberries, drain, and dry on a sheet pan lined with paper toweling. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix granulated sugar, flour (or cornstarch or tapioca flour), and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently stir together the berries, sugar mixture, and lemon zest. Set aside while you prepare the crust.
- Open one box of pie crust and remove the plastic cover. On a lightly floured surface, place one circle of crust on top ot the other. Roll the crust into a rectangle approximately 17"x12".
- Line the bottom of a 15"x11" jelly roll pan with the first crust. Pour the berry mixture into the crust. Dot the fruit with several pieces of cold butter, if using.
- Open the second crust and roll out as the first. Place the second crust on top of the slab pie. Fold over the outer edges and crimp with the bottom crust to seal the pie.
- Using a sharp paring knife, pierce the top crust making several vents along the edges. If you wish, go ahead and cut a design in the center of the pie.
- Brush the top with the beaten egg. Sprinkle granulated or demerara sugar on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the berry juices are bubbling and the crust is nicely browned.
Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. This is a fabulous dessert if you need to serve a crowd.
Serving size: 15