You know how best laid plans quickly go astray? That’s what happened to me and my home decorating projects. A year after we moved in, I finally have my sewing/craft room in place. All the fabric neatly ironed and folded on my work top are those chosen for my Master Bedroom quilt.
I’m getting ready for a trip to Indianapolis in a couple of weeks. At Christmas, I bought my daughter, Jessica, two apron patterns, and we went out shopping for fabric. My sister found the appliance fabric, which is so adorable. Just perfect for this project. Here’s the pattern and fabric for the second apron. Needless to say, I’m a little behind schedule. I have all the pieces cut out. I’m crazy about the fabrics for this apron. It should go much quicker this time, because there’s no bib.
One of many fun things about visiting my sister is that we do shopping neither of us have time to do. Well, of course we shop, but there is so much variety as compared to what is available to me in Billings, that I jump at the chance for a shopping adventure. Carol is my willing partner in crime, and we were in the mood to shop for fabric.
Off we went to a couple of stores that had great selections, and the prices were unbelievable. I picked out a couple of remnants as samples for my master bedroom. I wanted to bring them home for my husband’s approval, before I bought more to finish my master bedroom project. We have very different tastes – he was not looking forward to pink, blue, green floral patterns, the girly stuff that I love.
I can’t believe it! I finished Jessica’s first apron today! It took me about three hours this morning, but so worth the effort. If I’d put my mind to it, I could have finished this in two days, tops. This is an easy pattern anyone could put together in no time at all. And the apron is nicely constructed. There’s a lining for the bodice and waistband. The waistband ties are long and wide. I strayed from the pattern instructions just a bit and lined the pockets.
The first thing I did was stitch the pockets to the front and then sewed the waistband and ties.
Then, I attached the bodice to the waistband, and voila! It was finished. Well, I still have to whipstitch the waistband lining, but that won’t take long.
I really like the fabric not only because of the color combinations but because of the quality. We chose quilting fabric from JoAnn’s. I washed and ironed the fabric before I started cutting out pattern pieces – a lesson I learned when I took quilting classes. I was afraid the fabric would become limp and lose its body, but the weight and feel pretty much stayed the same, especially after it was ironed.
I’m off to Pennsylvania Thursday, so I’ll take a project rest for a couple of weeks. I’m sure my sister and I will come up with several ideas. After all, we’ll be in Pennsylvania Dutch country, quilting capital of the world!
Can’t wait to share more ideas with you – Linda