A Win-Win Recipe
We all need a quick and easy meal like this one in our arsenal. And everyone likely has a pantry and freezer with the ingredient staples on hand. Easy Crustless Taco Pie is not only delicious but gluten-free, low carb and keto-friendly. And did I mention this taco pie is kid-friendly, too? A win-win in my book of tricks.
There’s nothing special that you need. Ground beef or ground turkey, eggs, cheddar cheese, taco seasoning are the staples here.
Serve with a dollop of full-fat sour cream (keto-friendly), guacamole, spicy salsa and a simple shredded lettuce salad on the side with diced tomatoes.
Here’s a tip! I like to buy ground beef in multi-pound packages from a big box store. The meat is usually leaner, 85-15% fat and I find it is cheaper per pound than buying ground meat in the grocery. When you make this recipe, why not brown 2-3 pounds at a time. Then separate the cooked meat into equal portions, load a freezer bag or two and store in the freezer. You’ll have cooked ground meat at the ready for another recipe Sloppy Joe’s or quick meat spaghetti sauce or tacos. Looking for even leaner meat? Use ground turkey instead. I’ve found ground turkey may be substituted for ground beef in most recipes.
I had to share this recipe if only to show the beautiful rise from the eggs. Yes, the dish deflates a little while it cools. But look! Isn’t it pretty out of the oven?
You’re happy! Your kids are happy! Everyone’s happy!
Quick and Easy, Crustless Taco Pie - Gluten Free & Low Carb!
We all need a quick, simple, and easy meal like this one in our arsenal. And everyone likely has a pantry and freezer with the ingredient staples on hand. Quick and Easy Crustless Taco Pie is not only delicious but gluten-free and low carb. And did I mention kid friendly? A win-win in my book of tricks.
In a small bowl combine:
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Mexican oregano
- 1/4 - 1/2 cayenne pepper, if desired
For Meat Filling
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning, above
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-n-half
- 4-6 oz shredded cheddar cheese, or Monterey Jack, or Monterey Pepper Jack depending on your pepper heat
Taco Pie Assembly
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray 9" pie dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a 12" skillet, brown ground meat over medium-high heat until cooked through and no pink is showing.
- Add diced onion and minced garlic. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add 3 Tablespoons (or one package) of taco seasoning to the browned meat. Continue to cook for 2 minutes until the mix becomes fragrant.
- Spread the meat filling into the prepared pie dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream or half-n-half. Pour slowly over meat mixture in the pie pan.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until the center has nicely risen and begins to brown. 30-40 minutes.
- Remove taco pie to a cooling rack for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve with accompaniments, if desired.