Looking for a satisfying, family favorite main dish? Why not give this simple recipe a try?
This is another of my favorite quick go-to recipes. Sure to please, this makes plenty, more than enough for four. If you add two more chicken breasts or thighs, you can stretch it to serve six. Serve this with a salad or apple sauce or fresh fruit or crusty bread, and you’re all set.
Experimenting one day long ago, I decided to add a little orange juice and orange zest to the flavorful mix. Not much, but enough to change the flavor, and make the dish slightly sweet tasting. And adding the peas, which is one of my favorite veggies to throw in with pasta or rice, helps to get these little nutritious nuggets down picky eater throats.
- 1 - 1½ pounds chicken breasts or thighs or whatever chicken pieces you wish to use
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- Soup can full of chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Juice of ½ orange
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoonful dried basil
- 12 - 16 oz. medium egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Boil water in a pot large enough to accommodate the amount of noodles you use. Follow the pasta makers cooking directions, but cook the noodles for one minute less than called for. Drain and set aside.
- Spray the chicken pieces with cooking spray. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Heat a 12-inch, preferably non-stick, skillet to medium heat. Brown the chicken pieces. Remove to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the onions to the skillet. Cook over medium heat until soft and beginning to brown.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup, orange juice, orange zest, basil, and chicken broth. Bring the sauce mixture just to the boiling point.
- Put the chicken pieces back into the skillet. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly covered in the sauce and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken.to a plate, Cover to keep warm.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Add the peas and stir to combine. The heat from the noodles and sauce will cook the peas.
- Salt and pepper to taste, and serve.