If you’re like me, we scour the internet looking for delicious recipes that take us out of our comfort zone. Sometimes I get stuck in a rut of making the same dishes over and over again. It’s not like the meals aren’t delicious. But sometimes we just need to rock the boat a bit. I just love Pinterest and visit every day looking for inspiration. Pinterest is a great resource for me where I find great food bloggers and recipes of all sorts like this one:
I was looking around one afternoon and my eyes lit up when I landed on A Pinch of Yum and this wonderful recipe for Spicy Peanut Soup with Sweet Potato & Kale. Why don’t I ever think about combinations like this? I’m in the Midwest. I don’t think this way. Sweet potato simmered with sweet curry and turmeric in coconut milk and broth finished with kale – seriously flavorful. There are even chopped peanuts in the recipe that gives this soup a little crunch – awesome!
And healthy! Look at all the good stuff it’s made from. Lindsay’s soup is thickened with creamy peanut butter instead of the usual roux of butter, flour, and milk. I didn’t miss it a bit. Many of us serve soup as a first course to a holiday meal and Spicy Sweet Potato Soup with Peanuts and Kale would be a stellar beginning.
And quick! Forty minutes from cutting board to table. I always have sweet potatoes on hand during fall and winter, so that was a cinch. I bought a package of frozen, chopped kale at the grocery to make prep even easier.
I didn’t have jalapeno, so I substituted crushed red pepper flakes. Lindsay calls for two cups of water. I used chicken stock instead. She likes to leave her sweet potatoes in bite-sized chunks, and I mashed mine up a bit to make the soup thicker. Try it. You’ll love it!
It’s cold today in Indiana. Soup’s on!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small to medium onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-14 oz can fire roasted or petite diced tomatoes
- 1-14oz can light coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet curry powder (I use Penzey's)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1-10oz bag frozen chopped kale
- Put olive oil in a heavy soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until lightly browned.
- Add sweet potato cubes and stir until they become lightly browned - 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, stir and cook until the garlic becomes fragrant - 1 minute.
- Add the curry powder and turmeric to the sweet potatoes. Stir and cook until the spices are fragrant, a minute or so.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, chicken stock, salt, and chopped peanuts. Stir everything together.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and continue to cook uncovered for 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add peanut butter and kale. Stir and continue to simmer until the soup is thick and creamy.